Foragecast Episode 12 - Alfalfa Benefits for Horses
Host: Emily Meccage
"Alfalfa is the cheese on top of the broccoli"
Join us as we talk with Dr. Krishona Martinson from the University of Minnesota. In this episode we discuss the many benefits of alfalfa for horses.
Some of the benefits of alfalfa for horses
- More protein dense for elite horses
- Higher digestible energy for horses needing higher calories
- Non-structural carbs
- Leafier, softer more palatable
- Alfalfa has higher calcium which allows for buffering and that helps with ulsers
- Dietary influence of certain diseases
Due to factors outside of Forage Genetics International’s (FGI) control, such as weather, crop production patterns, and other factors, results to be obtained, including but not limited to yields or financial performance, cannot be predicted or guaranteed by FGI. Results are based upon FGI controlled tests and field trials and public trials. Results may vary.